It’s always helpful and encouraging to have guidance, and guidance has never been more important than now in this post COVID environment. Guidance can come in the form of spoken words, written words, elaborate videos, or it can be as simple as a visual sign or marking. This short article will focus on tips for creating signage for the post-COVID community.
5 Tips to Consider When Developing Signage
1. Know Your Audience – Before you can properly communicate, you and your audience need to speak a common language. We’re not talking linguistics here, but the mindset of the group to which you are trying to reach. For example, developing signage for an elementary school may vary greatly than what you would create for the physics department at MIT. The bottom line know your audience. Tailor the signage to convey the message to that group.
2. Make it Sticky – “I remember that!” We’ve all heard a commercial jingle or a catchy slogan that immediately reminds us of a brand. This is advertising 101 and should apply to creating signage for COVID awareness. Make signs memorable or “stick”. Come up with clever phrases and fun imagery that will remain in the memory of your audience.
3. Reflect the Brand – It’s great to see our brand in the outside world, but the strengthening of the brand starts right here at home. Instill the values of the brand in the internal signage you create. Values like integrity, helping one another, and making the work environment a better place. In turn, using your brand to make the world a better place.
4. Show Empathy – Dovetailing off the brand values, empathy is one of the most, if not the most important value you can instill. This is especially true in today’s climate. The idea of thinking about your fellow coworkers and friends should be ever-present in post COVID signage. Who are we if we don’t help each other?
5. Keep it Simple – The old KISS principle: “Keep it short and simple”. No one has time to read a paragraph about social distancing or hand washing or decipher a complex diagram about stair usage. Keep signage simple, straightforward, and easy to understand.
Bring all these tips together into clever, friendly, memorable, and concise signage. One that supports brand values and helps everyone stay healthy and happy in this crazy world.
To help get you started, download Little’s editable signage template, below.